Thursday, November 4, 2010

Discussions with Surgeon

We met with Dr. Johnson on Wed and he was great, although, Sarah wasn't terribly thrilled with his bedside manner, but he seems to be extremely well qualified, competent, experienced and willing to spend as much time as we needed to answer our questions (which were numerous).

Dr. Johnson's assessment is that it is unlikely there has been any lymph node involvement since he found no swelling of the lymph nodes (he pegged it at a 20% chance -- although, that's the same chance given to us that the tumor would be cancerous, so we'll wait and see). We've been praying that there would be no lymph node involvement, so please continue to pray with us that that would in fact be the case. The bottom line is that his initial assessment is that we're dealing with a Stage I tumor and the prognosis is excellent.

We're not "out of the woods" completely -- Dr. Johnson wants Sarah to be genetically tested based on her family history (Sarah has 2 sisters that are breast cancer survivors) to determine if she is carrying a gene that predisposes her to breast cancer (her sisters don't carry the gene). If Sarah is carrying the gene, however, his recommendation will be to do a bi-lateral mastectomy (yes, that means both breasts, yuck!!) However, if she's not carrying the gene, then we're probably looking at just a lumpectomy followed by a short (5 day) course of radiation. We won't have the results from the genetics testing for 2 to 3 weeks, so they'll wait to do surgery until after those results are in (surgery should be end of Nov or 1st week in Dec).

Needless to say, we got much better sleep last night than we have in several weeks. We appreciate all of the prayers and expressions of care from our family and friends -- please continue to pray; Sarah has dramatically altered her diet -- lots more fresh vegetables, fruits and nuts, but no meat, dairy or refined sugars -- we're beginning to feel at home here in Asheville :) She has read that there is some research that indicates such a diet can actually slow or retard the growth of breast cancer. Pray for me, too; in a weak moment, I agreed to join her to show my support and encouragement (although, I must say that cooked greens are becoming a favorite at our house, as long as you don't ask Dan or Pete).

The Lord is good!!!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like very positive news -- and we'll take whatever good news we can get, right?! Do you know yet when the genetic testing will take place? We, of course, will continue to keep you all in our prayers! Love you. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that it went better than expected! Also, it's so good for you to support her in her dietary changes. One of the most difficult parts for me when I was diagnosed with cancer was the feeling of utter aloneness. It wasn't happening to Brian or my folks or my sibs. I was alone in this walk, so whenever anyone stood beside me in a decision I made, it bolstered my spirits, and helped me feel like I could continue to face this enemy. All of you are in my prayers! Love you and hugs!!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we just talked -- but just wanted you to know we think that is great news. You sounded so positive. But I've got to admit I'm with Dan and Pete on the whole cooked greens for a diet. But I'm proud of you Eric for showing the support!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - I can identify with going along with the spouse on the diet! We are trying to go vegan for Steve's health. I'm praying for you!! Lorraine

    ReplyDelete